Tandoori chicken, a dish which was originated in the Indian subcontinent and is popular throughout the globe. It is a classic starter for your perfect dinner party. This dish gets its name from a bell-shaped tandoor clay oven which is also used to make NAN (Flatbread) in India. Now you can find these clay tandoor on a Dhabas but in modern homes, they do not have clay ovens anymore, so our recipe is based on an oven, air fryer or in a pan over the stovetop.
Tandoori Chicken is prepared by roasting marinated meat in a tenderizing mixture of yogurt, lemon juice, and spices in a tandoor. The soft, juicy, spicy and flavourful chicken pieces come with a unique smoky aroma that will fill up you and your family with its delicious taste.
Tandoori chicken was a very ancient recipe which was originated by the Harrapan civilization across 3000 BC and this can be claimed due to their similar inventions like tandoors in Punjab, India. But basically Tandoori chicken as a dish that was originated as a Peshwari recipe in Punjab, before the partition of India late in the 1940s.
It got popularised at Moti Mahal in Peshawar by Kundan Lal Jaggi, Thakur Dass, and Kundan Lal Gujral, who are all Punjabi Hindus as well as the founders of the Moti Mahal restaurant. Later in 1964 it went to the United States via international flight menus and became one of the favorite dishes in the dinner parties.
|Total Time||Prep Time||Calories|
|1 Hr||10 Min||1143|
For Chicken Marination
- 4 whole chicken leg piece
- 200 gms greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Kasoori methi
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 piece of charcoal
- Ginger garlic paste
- Coriander leaves
- Onions sliced
- Lemons halves
- Take 4 whole chicken leg pieces without skin and place in a shallow dish.
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and lemon juice.
- Set aside 20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine all the 4 leg pieces, yogurt, ginger and garlic paste, red chili powder, black pepper powder coriander powder, and turmeric powder.
- Mix them until the batter gets smooth and leave it to on the refrigerator for 6-24 hours to get fully marinated.
- Once marinated take the 4 pieces out, now you can roast it on tandoor for 15-20 mins or you can grill it at medium-high heat until it gets pinkish color on an oven.
- If you don’t have an oven, fry these marinated pieces on a pan with 1tbsp oil and butter, at medium temperature for 20-25 min and then to add that smoking flavor add ghee and charcoal in a small bowl and make sure the all the chicken pieces get covered with its smoke.
- And that’s it is ready to garnish
- Garnish with cilantro, onion rings, and lemon wedges.
- NOTE: Make sure each and every side of the chicken is heated equally.
The platting is really simple, just take a big white or black plate, keep 4 pieces in a circular fashion, keep the lemon wedges on the sides and middle, spread onion rings and cilantro throughout the place to make it look good, but don’t overdo it. And that’s it your Tandoori Chicken is ready to serve.
What To Serve With Tandoori Chicken
Tandoori Chicken is a stand-alone starter dish, you can have it with your beer. But it can also go well with long grain basmati rice and curry.
Tandoori Chicken Recipe Sanjeev Kapoor
Chef Sanjeev Kapoor has kept the Recipe ingredients quite simple and he has used a whole chicken, rather than using only the leg pieces. His recipe is less spicy and more on a milder side. Our recipe has a richer taste due to the ingredients used in our recipe. You can follow him in the below youtube video.
We www.mygluttony.com is trying to cover all the recipe which is hidden stones in the world. We love to hear comments from you guys. Please mention your reviews and eat healthy.